Hafa Adai, Tirow, and Welcome to the Office of the Attorney General.
The Office of the Attorney General provides legal counsel and representation to the Commonwealth government and its agencies on many issues vital to the people’s interest. These issues include the protection of children from abuse and neglect, preservation of the environment, protecting the Commonwealth’s financial assets, the protection of consumers, and public safety.
The Office of the Attorney General welcomes your ideas on ways that we can serve you and the community.
The Office at a Glance
The Attorney General:
- Is the Chief Legal Officer for the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Represents the Commonwealth in all legal matters
- Advises Executive Departments, Autonomous Agencies, and Public Corporations
- Takes Legal Action on behalf of its citizens
- Prosecutes violations of law
- Combat graft and corruption, domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, drugs and violent crimes
- Build and improve relationships / partnerships, enforcement of laws and to promote proper training
- Ensure criminal cases are thoroughly investigated and reviewed before charges are filed
- Ensure the safety and security of the people of the Commonwealth
- Work in partnership with the Executive Branch, Legislature, Courts, Law Enforcement Agencies such as Customs, Police, Fish & Wildlife, Probation, Parole, and Federal counterparts
- Increase enforcement of consumer protection laws
CNMI AG urges U.S. Senate to pass legislation to fight shell companies Attorney General Edward Manibusan joins a bipartisan group of attorneys generals urging the U.S. Senate to pass S. 2563, the Improving Laundering Laws and Increasing Comprehensive Information Tracking of Criminal Activity in Shell Holdings (ILLICIT CASH) Act. The […]
CNMI and Guam petition to form coalition with Hawaii to combat drug trafficking through HIDTA program
CNMI and Guam petition to form coalition with Hawaii to combat drug trafficking through HIDTA program Attorney General Edward Manibusan and Attorney General Leevin T. Camacho have jointly petitioned seeking High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area (HIDTA) designations under the Hawaii HIDTA. The petitions were submitted on June 12, 2020 to […]
Office of the Attorney General completes independent review into the use of deadly force Attorney General Edward Manibusan reports the completion of a review of the March 12, 2020, shooting incident that involved the death of Gordon Castro and Keisha King and the use of deadly force by law enforcement. […]