Hafa Adai, Tirow, and Welcome to the Office of the Attorney General.
The Office of the Attorney General provides legal counsel and representation to the Commonwealth government and its agencies on many issues vital to the people’s interest. These issues include the protection of children from abuse and neglect, preservation of the environment, protecting the Commonwealth’s financial assets, the protection of consumers, and public safety.
The Office of the Attorney General welcomes your ideas on ways that we can serve you and the community.
The Office at a Glance
The Attorney General:
- Is the Chief Legal Officer for the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Represents the Commonwealth in all legal matters
- Advises Executive Departments, Autonomous Agencies, and Public Corporations
- Takes Legal Action on behalf of its citizens
- Prosecutes violations of law
- Combat graft and corruption, domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, drugs and violent crimes
- Build and improve relationships / partnerships, enforcement of laws and to promote proper training
- Ensure criminal cases are thoroughly investigated and reviewed before charges are filed
- Ensure the safety and security of the people of the Commonwealth
- Work in partnership with the Executive Branch, Legislature, Courts, Law Enforcement Agencies such as Customs, Police, Fish & Wildlife, Probation, Parole, and Federal counterparts
- Increase enforcement of consumer protection laws
Attorney General warns against price gouging The Office of the Attorney General has received increasing number of complaints against business establishments in the CNMI for price gouging as a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) emergency. Attorney General Edward Manibusan warns retailers that the Consumer Protection Act makes it unlawful for […]
Attorney General to lead an independent investigation into the Officer-involved shooting Attorney General Edward Manibusan has assigned the Attorney General Investigative Division (AGID) and Chief Prosecutor John Bradley to conduct an independent review of the circumstances surrounding the use of deadly force during a hostage situation that concluded in the […]
Price freeze in place for the CNMI A Declaration of Significant Emergency was issued by Governor Ralph DLG. Torres on January 29, 2020 and renewed on February 28, 2020 as a result over the growing concerns of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Consumers should be aware, and retailers are on […]