Hafa Adai, Tirow, and Welcome to the Office of the Attorney General.
The Office of the Attorney General provides legal counsel and representation to the Commonwealth government and its agencies on many issues vital to the people’s interest. These issues include the protection of children from abuse and neglect, preservation of the environment, protecting the Commonwealth’s financial assets, the protection of consumers, and public safety.
The Office of the Attorney General welcomes your ideas on ways that we can serve you and the community.
The Office at a Glance
The Attorney General:
- Is the Chief Legal Officer for the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Represents the Commonwealth in all legal matters
- Advises Executive Departments, Autonomous Agencies, and Public Corporations
- Takes Legal Action on behalf of its citizens
- Prosecutes violations of law
- Combat graft and corruption, domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, drugs and violent crimes
- Build and improve relationships / partnerships, enforcement of laws and to promote proper training
- Ensure criminal cases are thoroughly investigated and reviewed before charges are filed
- Ensure the safety and security of the people of the Commonwealth
- Work in partnership with the Executive Branch, Legislature, Courts, Law Enforcement Agencies such as Customs, Police, Fish & Wildlife, Probation, Parole, and Federal counterparts
- Increase enforcement of consumer protection laws
Keith Chambers II joins the Office of the Attorney General The Office of the Attorney General welcomes Mr. Keith Chambers II to the organization as an assistant attorney general in its civil division. In 2019, Chambers moved to the CNMI to serve as a law clerk to Judge Joseph N. […]
OAG welcomes new AAG and announces Chief promotion The Office of the Attorney General is pleased to announce the addition of its newest assistant attorney general, Mr. Charles P. Reyes Jr. and the promotion of Mr. John Lowrey as chief of civil division. “We are pleased to welcome Charles to […]
Attorneys General urge Congress to pass extension for CARES Act funding as pandemic impacts economy Attorney General Edward Manibusan has joined a coalition of attorneys general representing 43 states, the District of Columbia and 4 other U.S. territories, urging Congress to extend the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economy (CARES) Act […]