Hafa Adai, Tirow, and Welcome to the Office of the Attorney General.
The Office of the Attorney General provides legal counsel and representation to Commonwealth government and its agencies in many issues vital to the people’s interest. These issues include the protection of children from abuse and neglect, preservation of the environment, protecting the Commonwealth’s financial assets, the protection of consumers, and public safety.
The Office of the Attorney General welcomes your ideas on ways that we can serve you and the community.
The Office at a Glance
The Attorney General:
- Is the Chief Legal Officer for the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Represents the Commonwealth in all legal matters
- Advises Executive Departments, Autonomous Agencies, and Public Corporations
- Takes Legal Action on behalf of its citizens
- Prosecutes violations of law
- Combat graft and corruption, domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, drugs and violent crimes
- Build and improve relationships / partnerships, enforcement of laws and to promote proper training
- Ensure criminal cases are thoroughly investigated and reviewed before charges are filed
- Ensure the safety and security of the people of the Commonwealth
- Work in partnership with the Executive Branch, Legislature, Courts, Law Enforcement Agencies such as Customs, Police, Fish & Wildlife, Probation, Parole, and Federal counterparts
- Increase enforcement of consumer protection laws
OAG 18-02 September 21, 2018 Subject: Voter Residency and Domicile Requirements, Registration by Mail, and Absentee Voting Agency: Commonwealth Election Commission Opinion of the Attorney General I. ISSUES PRESENTED 1. What are the residency and domicile requirements pertaining to voter eligibility? How are they established? 2. Can persons who are […]
Attorney General Encourages Consumers to Submit Written Complaints on Price Gouging As a result of typhoon Mangkhut, the Office of the Attorney General encourages consumers to report incidents of price gouging. Attorney General Manibusan warns retailers that the Consumer Protection Act makes it unlawful for any business to engage in […]