Hafa Adai, Tirow, and Welcome to the Office of the Attorney General.
The Office of the Attorney General provides legal counsel and representation to the Commonwealth government and its agencies on many issues vital to the people’s interest. These issues include the protection of children from abuse and neglect, preservation of the environment, protecting the Commonwealth’s financial assets, the protection of consumers, and public safety.
The Office of the Attorney General welcomes your ideas on ways that we can serve you and the community.
The Office at a Glance
The Attorney General:
- Is the Chief Legal Officer for the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Represents the Commonwealth in all legal matters
- Advises Executive Departments, Autonomous Agencies, and Public Corporations
- Takes Legal Action on behalf of its citizens
- Prosecutes violations of law
- Combat graft and corruption, domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, drugs and violent crimes
- Build and improve relationships / partnerships, enforcement of laws and to promote proper training
- Ensure criminal cases are thoroughly investigated and reviewed before charges are filed
- Ensure the safety and security of the people of the Commonwealth
- Work in partnership with the Executive Branch, Legislature, Courts, Law Enforcement Agencies such as Customs, Police, Fish & Wildlife, Probation, Parole, and Federal counterparts
- Increase enforcement of consumer protection laws
CNMI Attorney General supports funding for Legal Services Corporation In a joint effort organized by the Attorneys General of the 56 states and territories, the National Association of Attorneys General (NAAG) recently submitted a letter to U.S. Congress and Senate and urged funding for the Legal Services Corporation. “As state […]
Cannabis in the CNMI to be the topic at this year’s Attorney General’s Cup The 35th Annual Attorney General’s Cup Speech Competition will be held on Friday, May 3, 9:00 am at the Hyatt Regency Ballroom. This year, seven high schools will be participating in the competition and they include […]
Public Service Announcement April 10, 2019 The Attorney General’s Office of Consumer Counsel, the Bureau of Environmental Health, and the Community Health Center Department of Public Health would like to remind the public to never take unknown medicine, especially medicine found in public places. Many drugs may have harmful side-effects […]