Hafa Adai, Tirow, and Welcome to the Office of the Attorney General.
The Office of the Attorney General provides legal counsel and representation to the Commonwealth government and its agencies on many issues vital to the people’s interest. These issues include the protection of children from abuse and neglect, preservation of the environment, protecting the Commonwealth’s financial assets, the protection of consumers, and public safety.
The Office of the Attorney General welcomes your ideas on ways that we can serve you and the community.
The Office at a Glance
The Attorney General:
- Is the Chief Legal Officer for the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Represents the Commonwealth in all legal matters
- Advises Executive Departments, Autonomous Agencies, and Public Corporations
- Takes Legal Action on behalf of its citizens
- Prosecutes violations of law
- Combat graft and corruption, domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, drugs and violent crimes
- Build and improve relationships / partnerships, enforcement of laws and to promote proper training
- Ensure criminal cases are thoroughly investigated and reviewed before charges are filed
- Ensure the safety and security of the people of the Commonwealth
- Work in partnership with the Executive Branch, Legislature, Courts, Law Enforcement Agencies such as Customs, Police, Fish & Wildlife, Probation, Parole, and Federal counterparts
- Increase enforcement of consumer protection laws
Price freeze remains in effect for the CNMI The Office of the Attorney General would like to remind all retailers in the CNMI that the Declaration of Price Freeze signed by Governor Ralph DLG. Torres on October 27, 2018 remains in effect until it is rescinded, or until the declaration […]
Former Chief Prosecutor becomes new Consumer Counsel After having served the past two years as Chief Prosecutor for the Criminal Division, Michele Harris has recently been appointed by Attorney General Manibusan to serve as Consumer Counsel for the OAG. In addition to her many years of prosecution, Harris also has […]
Price freeze in effect for the CNMI Super Typhoon Yutu struck the Commonwealth on October 25, 2018. Consumers should be aware, and retailers are on notice, that it is illegal to engage in price gouging following a major disaster. The Consumer Protection Act makes it unlawful for businesses to engage […]