Hafa Adai, Tirow, and Welcome to the Office of the Attorney General.
The Office of the Attorney General provides legal counsel and representation to the Commonwealth government and its agencies on many issues vital to the people’s interest. These issues include the protection of children from abuse and neglect, preservation of the environment, protecting the Commonwealth’s financial assets, the protection of consumers, and public safety.
The Office of the Attorney General welcomes your ideas on ways that we can serve you and the community.
The Office at a Glance
The Attorney General:
- Is the Chief Legal Officer for the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Represents the Commonwealth in all legal matters
- Advises Executive Departments, Autonomous Agencies, and Public Corporations
- Takes Legal Action on behalf of its citizens
- Prosecutes violations of law
- Combat graft and corruption, domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, drugs and violent crimes
- Build and improve relationships / partnerships, enforcement of laws and to promote proper training
- Ensure criminal cases are thoroughly investigated and reviewed before charges are filed
- Ensure the safety and security of the people of the Commonwealth
- Work in partnership with the Executive Branch, Legislature, Courts, Law Enforcement Agencies such as Customs, Police, Fish & Wildlife, Probation, Parole, and Federal counterparts
- Increase enforcement of consumer protection laws
Officer pleads guilty to theft On Monday September 9, 2019, following a plea recommendation from Assistant Attorney General Jonathan Glass, the Court found Department of Public Safety Police Officer Koji Maurice Taisacan guilty and ordered him to serve seven days in the Department of Corrections and pay a fine of […]
Attorney General Manibusan joins bipartisan coalition seeking congressional support for autism services Attorney General Edward Manibusan today announced that he has joined a bipartisan coalition of 47 attorneys general calling upon Congress to authorize the Autism CARES Act of 2019. This legislation provides ongoing federal support for research into autism […]
Public Safety Information – Product Recalls The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued the following product recalls: ➢ CONTIGO Kids Cleanable Water Bottles Hazard: The water bottle’s clear silicone spout can detach, posing a choking hazard to children. Contigo has received 149 reports of the spout detaching including 18 […]