Hafa Adai, Tirow, and Welcome to the Office of the Attorney General.
The Office of the Attorney General provides legal counsel and representation to the Commonwealth government and its agencies on many issues vital to the people’s interest. These issues include the protection of children from abuse and neglect, preservation of the environment, protecting the Commonwealth’s financial assets, the protection of consumers, and public safety.
The Office of the Attorney General welcomes your ideas on ways that we can serve you and the community.
The Office at a Glance
The Attorney General:
- Is the Chief Legal Officer for the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Represents the Commonwealth in all legal matters
- Advises Executive Departments, Autonomous Agencies, and Public Corporations
- Takes Legal Action on behalf of its citizens
- Prosecutes violations of law
- Combat graft and corruption, domestic violence, child abuse and neglect, drugs and violent crimes
- Build and improve relationships / partnerships, enforcement of laws and to promote proper training
- Ensure criminal cases are thoroughly investigated and reviewed before charges are filed
- Ensure the safety and security of the people of the Commonwealth
- Work in partnership with the Executive Branch, Legislature, Courts, Law Enforcement Agencies such as Customs, Police, Fish & Wildlife, Probation, Parole, and Federal counterparts
- Increase enforcement of consumer protection laws
Jose Mafnas Jr. joins the Office of the Attorney General The Office of the Attorney General announces and welcomes Jose P. Mafnas Jr., Esq. as assistant attorney general. He joins the litigation team of the civil division. “I am happy to have Jose Mafnas Jr. join as member of the […]
35th Annual AG’s Cup Speech Competition is Scheduled for May 3rd, 2019 The Attorney General is pleased to announce that the 35th Attorney General’s Cup Speech Competition will be held on May 3rd, 2019 at 9:30 am at the Hyatt Regency Ballroom. Eight (8) high schools will be participating in […]
Price freeze remains in effect for the CNMI The Office of the Attorney General would like to remind all retailers in the CNMI that the Declaration of Price Freeze signed by Governor Ralph DLG. Torres on October 27, 2018 remains in effect until it is rescinded, or until the declaration […]